Melona Ice Cream Bars

| |

Melona Ice Bars
I was visiting my parents over the Independence Weekend and my mom handed me this frozen treat. Melon flavored ice bar. I've since also had it in strawberry flavor as well the original melon; mango, banana, red bean, and lime are also available, but I have not had them yet. It has a unique creamy texture rather than the iciness of a Popsicle, though it doesn't melt and drip nearly as quickly as a true ice cream bar.

According to Wikipedia, Melona is a South Korean product that launched in 1992 by Binggrae. It quickly became a top seller in the "Popsicle" category in South Korea.

Melona bars are available at 99 Ranch Markets and possibly other Asian specialty markets. If you can find them, I give them a very high "buy' rating. They come in boxes of 8, though they may be sold separately as well.

Just this evening I bought a box of Strawberry Melona and froze it for a little late night dessert. I was a bit disappointed though when I pulled one out of the box, that apparently it may have melted and refroze, leaving me with a chubby short bar (as it molded to the end of the wrapper). Perhaps there are still some shipping/logistical kinks they need to work out shipping them from Korea, or else someone at 99 Ranch forgot to freeze them right away. No worries, it still tasted great and had the same ultra-smooth texture. I may update this in the morning if I feel any ... repercussions.
blog comments powered by Disqus