Garces Trading Company, Philadelphia PA

| |


My travels brought me to Philadelphia, where it is said to be the "Best Restaurant City!" according to the Loews Hotel welcome book. After a walk around the Liberty Bell and Washington Square, I found myself a few blocks west at Garces Trading Company, founded by the newer Iron Chef America, Chef Jose Garces.

Vichyssoise Chaude
There's a bit of a disconnect between what Garces intends as "a casual sit-down meal" and the $50 pp you'd have to drop for an appetizer/soup/salad, an entree and a glass of wine.

That being said, the food was amazing and worth the $50 I dropped. The ambiance is mixed as part of the place is a deli style market, with a sit down cafe portion. This food is certainly worthy of a classier dining experience.

Pappardelle With Lamb Ragu
I started with the Vichyssoise Chaude which was served table side. A shallow bowl with potato, leek, scallop, bacon, and truffle shavings, and then the server poured the hot chowder into the bowl. It was rich, complex, and amazing (though I still contend that using truffles is culinary cheating).


I also had the Pappardelle With Lamb Ragu—long and wide pasta with slow cooked lamb with sunchoke puree, peas, and piave vechio (which is Italian for fancy parmesan). Lots of great flavors if you like lamb, but not too heavy. Each bite dances a little in your mouth with layers of flavors playing off each other.


Honorable mention that I almost got, was the Sunday night special of ox-tail and braised short rib lasagna.

Check out my blog on Chef Garces' other restaurant, CHIFA, Peruvian-Cantonese cuisine.
blog comments powered by Disqus